elni Review 2008, Issue 1, pp. 12-18. https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2008.003
The system of access and benefit sharing (ABS) – or more technically worded “Access to Genetic Resources and Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits resulting from their utilisation” – is one of the most debated topics in the field of conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity. Explained in a nutshell, the system institutionalises, on the basis of the national sovereignty over natural resources, conditions for access to and utilisation of genetic resources and – indirectly – also to traditional knowledge related to these genetic resources. It prescribes the well-known triad of Prior Informed Consent (PIC), Mutually Agreed Terms (MAT) and the benefit sharing. This article presents some of the current debates in more detail. In order to facilitate insight into the challenges of the system, the background and context of its evolution are described and analysed.
- Biber-Klemm S. and T. Cottier (eds.) (2006) Rights to plant genetic resources and traditional knowledge: basic issues and perspectives. CABI. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1079/9780851990330.0000.
- Commission on Intellectual Property Rights (2002) Integrating Intellectual Property Rights and Development Policy. London.
- Commonwealth of Australia (2000) Commonwealth Public Inquiry into Access to Biological Resources in Commonwealth Areas.
- John Voumard, Inquiry Chair; Chapter 4: Ownership of Biological Resources in Commonwealth Areas.
- Coughlin Jr., M.D. (1993) Using the Merck-INBio agreement to clarify the Convention on Biological Diversity. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 31(2), pp. 337-375.
- Macdonald R. St. J and D.M. Johnston (eds.) (1983) the Structure and Process of International Law. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.
- Macdonald R. St. J. (1995) The Common Heritage of Mankind. In: Beyerlin U., Bothe M., Hofmann R. and E.-U. Petersmann (eds.) Recht zwischen Umbruch und Bewahrung. Festschrift für Rudolf Bernhard. Springer, Berlin. pp. 153-171.
- Raustiala K. and D.G. Victor (2004) The Regime Complex for Plant Genetic Resources. International Organization 58, Spring 2004, pp. 277-309. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020818304582036.
- Rosendal G.K. (2006) Balancing Access and Benefit Sharing and Legal Protection of Innovations from Bioprospecting: Impacts on Conservation of Biodiversity. The Journal of Environment & Development 2006. Vol 15, No 4, pp. 428-447. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1070496506294799.
- Rosendal G.K. (2006) The Convention on Biological Diversità and Developing Countries. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Temmermann M.R.P. (2007) The Patentability of Plant Genetic Resources. NCCR Trade Regulation Working Paper 4/2007.
- Tvedt M.W. and T. Young (2007) Beyond Access. IUCN ABS Series No. 2.