elni Review 2008, Issue 2, pp. 81-85. https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2008.012
The European Commission publishes a yearly “Report on the Monitoring of the Application of Community Law in the Member States of the European Union”. The 2005 edition was reviewed by a member of the Parliament, namely Monica Frassoni, from Italy (Greens/EFA-IT). Her report has recently been adopted by a noteworthy resolution of the European Parliament. The resolution points out both the structural problems of enforcing European Community law and the disputable approach of the Commission during the last few years.
The European Parliament recognises that European Community law is not being applied consistently. The Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) refer to the annual report of the Commission in which the infringement proceedings initiated by the Commission are listed. This report illustrates that the number of detected infringements decreased from 2709 (in 2003) to 2653 (in 2005). This drop by 56 infringements seems at first sight not to be significant. But this reported decrease of procedures happened despite the fact that the European Union increased the number of Member States from 15 to 25 in 2004. Against this background, the lower level in 2005 is indeed questionable. Basically, the enlargement of the European Union was expected to cause a significant increase of infringement procedures against the Member States. This applies in particular to new Member States whose legal systems had been – in terms of compliance with European law – divergent from those in the other Member States.
- European Commission 23rd Annual Report on Monitoring the Application of Community Law (2005).
- Report on the Commission's 23rd Annual report on monitoring the application of Community law (2005), (2006/2271(INI)).
- European Parliament, resolution of 21 February 2008 on the Commission's 23rd Annual report on monitoring the application of Community law (2005).
- European Commission, 7th Annual Survey on the implementation and enforcement of EU environmental law.
- Treaty establishing the European Community.
- Ludwig Krämer, EC Environmental Law (6th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, London 2007).
- Josephine Steiner/Lorna Woods, Textbook on EC Law (8th ed., Oxford University Press 2003).
- Elisabeth Hattan, The implementation of EU environmental law Journal of Environmental Law .
- Jo Shaw/Jo Hunt/Chloë Wallace, Economic and Social Law of the European Union (Palgrave Macmillan, New York 2007).
- Martin Heidemann-Robinson, Enforement of European Union Environmental Law (Routledge Cavendish, London 2007).
- European Parliament, Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Motion for a resolution (16.07.2008).
- Commission of the European Communities, 2005, 22nd Report from the Commission on Monitoring the Application of Community Law (2004), COM(2005) 570 final.
- Court of Justice of the European Union,1989, Judgment of the Court (Second Chamber) of 14 February 1989. Star Fruit Company SA v Commission of the European Communities. Action for failure to act brought by an undertaking - Failure by the Commission to commence proceedings under Article 169 of the EEC Treaty (Case 247/87).
- Stephen Weatherill, Cases & Materials on EU Law (6th ed., Oxford University Press, New York 2003).
- Court of Justice of the European Union, 1995, Judgment of the Court of 10 May 1995. Commission of the European Communities v Federal Republic of Germany. Failure of a Member State to fulfil its obligations - Transposition of the directives on waste, toxic and dangerous waste and athe transfrontier shipment of hazardous waste (Case C-422/92).
- Commission of the European Communities, 1996, Communication from the Commission. Implementing Community Environmental Law, COM(1996) 500 final.
- Carlos da Silva Campos, Waste, Product and By-product in EU Waste Law, elni Review 2/2007.
- Thomas Ormond, Nuovo Regolmato ce relative alle Spedizioni di Rifuti, Rivista Giuridica dell´Ambiente 3-4/2007, 419.
- Uwe Lahl, REACH - Assessment of the political agreement, elni Review 1/2007, 34. DOI: https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2007.006.
- Marga Robesin, From IPPC to IED: Health and environment in Europe need a stronger Directive, elni Review 2/2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2008.008.