elni Review 2008, Issue 2, pp. 54-59. https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2008.008
On 9 September 2008 the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) of the European Parliament held a first discussion on the Proposal for a Directive on Industrial Emissions (IED) and the draft report of rapporteur Holger Krahmer. The proposal revises and merges seven separate existing Directives related to industrial emissions (the IPPC Directive and six sector Directives) into a single Directive. The current IPPC Directive and the proposed Directive have the same objective: achieving a high level of environmental protection by preventing or minimising industrial emissions into air, water or soil, with an integrated approach to pollution control. This high level of environmental protection is necessary to obtain an environmental quality in the EU that is healthy for its inhabitants and nature. The current situation is still far from satisfactory. The situation regarding air is even alarming. This causes serious damage to health, nature and economy. Effective and efficient instruments are therefore needed. The proposal for an IED aims at improving the existing legislation to ensure better implementation and enforcement of this legislation by national authorities yet can it succeed?
In the Netherlands many cases concerning air pollution by industrial installations have been brought to the Dutch administrative court (the Council of State). Although the situation in other Member States is different, the lessons learnt from these cases are not typical for the Dutch situation and for air pollution. They address issues that are relevant for answering the question as to whether the proposed IED indeed will improve the possibilities to achieve a high level of protection, such as by setting ambitious standards, adequate monitoring and enforcement as well as public participation in the decision making process.
This contribution focuses on the way in which the Proposal deals with the issue of ambitious standards.
- Commission of the European Communities, 2007, Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on industrial emissions (integrated pollution prevention and control) (recast) COM(2007) 844 final.
- 2007/0286 (COD), 2 July 2008, Industrial emissions - Integrated pollution prevention and control. Recast.
- Council Directive 96/61/EC of 24 September 1996 concerning integrated pollution prevention and control, OJ 1996 L 257/26.
- Council Directive 78/176/EEC, 20 February 1978 on waste from the titanium dioxide industry, OJ 1978 L 54/19.
- Council Directive 82/883/EEC of 3 December 1982 on procedures for the surveillance and monitoring of environments concerned by waste from the titanium dioxide industry, OJ 1982 L 378/1.
- Council Directive 92/112/EEC of 15 December 1992 on procedures for harmonising the programmes for the reduction and eventual elimination of pollution caused by waste from the titanium dioxide industry, OJ 1992 L 409/11.
- Council Directive 1999/13/EC of 11 March 1999 on the limitation of emissions of volatile organic compounds due to the use of organic solvents in certain activities and installation, OJ 1999 L 85/1.
- Directive 2000/76/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 4 December 2000 on the incineration of waste, OJ 2000 L 332/91.
- Directive 2001/80/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2001 on the limitation of emissions of certain pollutants into the air from large combustion plants, OJ 2001 L 309/1.
- Commission of the European Communities, 2005, Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament, Thematic Strategy on air pollution, Brussels, 21 September 2005, COM(2005) 446 final.
- Directive 2008/50/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on ambient air quality and cleaner air for Europe, OJ 2008 L 152/1.
- Protocol to the 1979 Convention on long-range transboundary air pollution to abate acidification, eutrophication and ground-level ozone. UNECE, 1999.
- Directive 2001/81/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2001 on national emission ceilings for certain atmospheric pollutants, OJ 2001 L 309/22.
- Erop of eronder. Uitvoeringsnotitie emissieplafonds verzuring en grootschalige luchtverontreiniging 2003.
- Op weg naar duurzame niveaus voor gezondheid en natuur. Overzichtspublicatie thema verzuring en grootschalige luchtverontreiniging. Uitgebreide samenvatting. Ministerie VROM, October 2001.
- ENDS Europe DAILY 2590, 22 July 2008.
- Rapport 500092001/2006 Haalbaarheid nationale emissieplafonds in 2010. Basisgegevens betreffende emissieramingen, aanvullende opties en effecten. P. Hammingh et al., Milieu- en Natuurplanbureau.
- Wet van 16 July 2005, tot wijziging van de Wet milieubeheer en de Wet verontreiniging oppervlaktewateren. Verduidelijking in verband met de EG-richtlijn inzake geïntegreerde preventie en bestrijding van verontreiniging; vergunning op hoofdzaken/vergunning op maat. Stb. 2005, 432.
- Regeling aanwijzing BBT-documenten. Revised in 2007: Stcrt. 23 November 2007, N° 288, p. 29.
- Het beoordelingskader van de IPPC Richtlijn: implementatie, interpretatie en toepassing. Drs. F. H. Oosterhuis et al. STEM publicatie 2007/1, p. 39.
- Schieten om te kunnen scoren. Verslag van de werkgroep NEC en industrie. InfoMil, October 2006.
- Decisions of the Dutch Council of State 20 April 2005 200405315/1, 25 January 2006 200409233/1, 4 April 2007, 200602517/1; 26 April 2006 (200504822/1).
- ENDS Europe Daily 2591, 23 July 08: MEP demands binding emission limits for plants.
- Decisions of the Dutch Council of State 7 November 2007, 200609021/1 (BIOX Group BV, Vlissingen) and 14 November 2007, 200608547/1 (BIOX Group BV, Rotterdam).