elni Review 2022, pp. 40-44. https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2022.007
This paper provides an overview and analysis of the progress made by Ukraine in implementing Water Sector acquis listed in the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement. The paper concludes that for the most part the transposition of the respective Directives is complete. It is argued, however, that extra effort is required under the Nitrates Directive and the Drinking Water Directive. Notwithstanding tangible gains in the development of River Basin Management Plans, Flood Risk Management Plans and the adoption of the Marine Environmental Strategy of Ukraine, the implementation of the State Water Monitoring Program suffers obvious difficulties caused by the unprovoked and unjustified russia’s military aggression against Ukraine, especially in the areas of active warfare. Massive destruction of infrastructure including centralized water supply and sewerage systems is likely to hinder implementation of the Drinking Water Directive and the Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive in Ukraine.
- Alexandrov, Boris, Minicheva, Galina and Zaitsev, Yuvenaliy (2017), Black Sea Network of Marine Protected Areas: European Approaches and Adaptation to Expansion and Monitoring in Ukraine. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119075806.ch12.
- Association Agreement between the European Union, European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, of the other part. Accessible here (Ukrainian) and here (English).
- Directive 2008/105/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 2008 on environmental quality standards in the field of water policy. Accessible here.
- Khilchevskyi, V.K. (2021), Modern characteristics of water bodies in Ukraine: watercourses and reservoirs. Hidrolohiia, hidrokhimiia i hidroekolohiia [Hydrology, Hydrochemistry and Hydroecology], 1(59), 17-27 (in Ukrainian, abstr. in English). DOI: https://doi.org/10.17721/2306-5680.2021.1.2.
- Khilchevskyi, Valentyn, Grebin, Vasyl and Sherstyuk, Natalia (2019), Modern Hydrographic and Water Management Zoning of Ukraine’s Territory – Implementation of the WFD-2000/60/EC. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15407/uhmi.conference.01.23.
- Kozytskyi, Oleg, Shevchuk, Serhii and Shevchenko, Iryna (2019), Monitoring and management of hydrological risks in the river basins of Ukraine. Land Reclamation and Water Management, (2), 157-166. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31073/mivg201902-206.
- Note Verbale of the General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union SGS14/12029 of 30 September 2014. Accessible here (Ukrainian) and here (English).
- Odnorih, Zoriana, Manko, Roman, Malovanyy, Myroslav and Soloviy, Khrystyna (2020), Results of Surface Water Quality Monitoring of the Western Bug River Basin in Lviv Region. Journal of Ecological Engineering Vol. 21 (3), 2020, 18–26. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12911/22998993/118303.
- Rubel, Oleg, Zhikhareva, Alina and Reznichenko, Nataliya (2018), Institutional mechanisms for implementation of marine strategy framework directive: system, dynamics and measures. Economic Innovations, 20(3(68), 185-196. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31520/ei.2018.20.3(68).185-196.
- Strokal, Vita (2021), Transboundary rivers of Ukraine: perspectives for sustainable development and clean water, Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences, 18:1, 67-87. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1943815X.2021.1930058.
- WFD Common Implementation Strategy. Accessible here.
- Yara, Olena, Uliutina, Olena, Golovko, Liudmyla and Andrushchenko, Liliiy (2018), The EU Water Framework Directive: Challenges and Prospects for Implementation in Ukraine. European Journal of Sustainable Development (2018), 7(2) 175-182. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14207/ejsd.2018.v7n2p175.
- Yermolenko, Volodymyr, Hafurova, Olena, Deineha, Maryna, Novak, Tamara, Temnikova, Alena and Naidansuren, Erdene (2021), Quality of drinking water in rural areas: problems of legal environment.E3S Web Conf., 280 (2021) 09022. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202128009022.