elni Review 2021, pp. 32-34. https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2021.004
This paper is a report on the online webinar “The Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Directive: joy or sadness at the 20th birthday” that took place on 15th of June 2021 as part of an elni webinar series. The main speakers were Prof Martin Führ (Professor at the Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences) and Prof Jerzy Jendrośka (Professor at the Opole University). The report contains a brief summary of a study on the practice of the SEA Directive in Germany presented by Prof Führ, followed by Prof Jendrośka’s presentation on the Directive in the European context and future policy developments. The overall findings from the discussions are focusing on the importance of the scoping and guidance documents, the role and difficulties of the local authorities in the SEA implementation process and a potential conflict with the European jurisprudence.
- COM(2019) 640: Communication from the Commission “The European Green Deal”, Brussels.
- COM(2021) 219: Communication from the Commission “Better regulation: Joining forces to make better laws”, Brussels.
- Jendrośka, Jerzy (2003). The Kyiv Protocol on Strategic Environmental Assessment, Environmental Policy & Law, 33/3-4/2003, 105-110.
- Jendrośka, Jerzy (2003). The UN ECE Protocol on Strategic Environmental Assessment: Do We Need It? (in:): Recht und Um-Welt, L. Kraemer, (ed.), Europa Law Publishing, Groningen.
- Jendrośka, Jerzy (2018). Coherence of SEA Directive with other EU Directives, EU sectoral policies and international obligations: comments on the emerging findings of the evaluation study Public Participation and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters, paper presented at the WORKSHOP ON THE EVALUATION OF THE SEA DIRECTIVE Brussels, 6 December, available at https://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/sea-refit.htm.
- Jendrośka, Jerzy (2020). Public Participation and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters – Means to Achieve Sustainable Development?, paper presented at the online conference organized by the European Law Institute, Environmental Sustainability and “The European Green Deal”: Values, Innovation and Regulation 12 and 13 November, available at https://www.europeanlawinstitute.eu/hubs-sigs/sigs/environmental-law-sig/events/news/environmental-law-sig-discussed-environmental-sustainability-and-the-european-green-deal-at-online-1/?tx_news_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=News&tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D=detail&cHash=5b933da793f690a960184f549227d979.
- Jendrośka, Jerzy, Moritz Reese, Lorenzo Squintani (2021). Towards a new legal framework for sustainability under the European Green Deal, Opole Studies of Administration and Law 19-2 (2021) available at https://czasopisma.uni.opole.pl/index.php/osap/issue/view/230.
- Schwarz, Carolin Isabel (2020). Product policies for a Circular Economy: elni 2020 event cycle “Green Deal – A way forward for EU environmental legislation?” elni Review 2020, 25-28. DOI: https://doi.org/10.46850/elni.2020.005.